During the holy month of Ramadhan, our diet should not differ very much from our normal diet and should be as simple as possible. The diet should be such that we maintain our normal weight. Ramadhan is an ideal time to normalise ones weight.
In view of the long hours of fasting we should consume slow digesting foods including fibre containing-foods rather than fast digesting-foods. Slow digesting foods last up to 8 hours while fast digesting-foods last for only 3 to 4 hours. Slow digesting foods are foods that contain grains and seeds like barley,wheat,oats, millet,semolina, beans, lentils, whole meal flour, unpolished rice, etc (called complex carbohydrates).
Fast burning foods are foods that contain sugar, white flour, etc (called refined carbohydrates). Fibre containing-foods are bran-containing foods, whole wheat, grains and seeds, vegetables like greens beans, peas, sem (papry), marrow, mealies, spinach, and other herbs like methie, the leaves of beetroat (iron-rich), fruit with skin, dried fruit especially dried apricots, figs, and prunes, almonds, etc.
The foods eaten should be well-balanced, from each food group, ie fruits, vegetables, meat/chicken/fish. bread/cereals and dairy products. Fried foods are unhealthy and should be limited. They cause indigestion, hearts-burn, and weight problem.
AVOID THIS !
- Fried and fatty foods
- foods containing too much sugar
- Over eating especially at Sehri (Sahur)
- Too much tea at Sehri. Tea makes you pass more urine taking with valuable minerals salts that your body would need during the day.
- Smoking cigarretes. If you cannot give up smoking, cut down gradually starting a few weeks before Ramadhan. smoking is unhealthy and should stop completely.
- Complex carbohydrates at sehri, so that the food last longer making you less hungry
- Haleem is an excellent source of protein and is a slow burning foods
- Dates are excellent source of sugar, fibre, carbohydrates, potassium and magnesium
- Almonds are rich in protein and fibre with less fat
- Bananas are a good source of potassium, magnesium, and carbohydrates